Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Surgery rescheduled....

.....till 9/30.

I saw the surgeon on Monday, surgery was scheduled for Tuesday. He explained to me (finally) exactly what is going on. There is a piece of bone that has been broken off and it IS what's causing the pain and my ankle to lock up. He said simply that he'll be going in and taking that out. I said "well that sounds easy". He smiled and told me he wasn't done yet. No, of course not....how could I be so optimistic?

He said that he cannot leave the bone with a "pothole" (his word, not mine, LOL) It would leave my ankle unstable and painful, especially later in life. Crud.

There's nothing to do to fill that "hole" except this: He's going to drill holes in the bone at that point, causing the bone to bleed. That will form scar tissue that will fill in that spot and I should be good to go. Sounds like a good time. Blah. If he were able to just take that piece of bone out and be done, I'd be putting weight on that foot within a couple days. But now I'll be on crutches, non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks. This means that I cannot work full time. My job simply is on my feet 75% of the time. Well ALL the time really, but I can do a few hours sitting. Hoping they'll let me work part time during that period. Cross your fingers.

I explained to him that I had NO idea that I was even scheduled this quickly and wasn't even planning on coming in to see him till the 15th. He was as irritated as I was. He suggested that we wait it out for 3 weeks; giving my employer time to get coverage. He said that it does have to be done soon, as it's getting weaker each day. If it locks up before then, I'll call and he said he'd get the surgery in sooner.

That's it, that's my story. Life sucks sometimes and I'm just trying to suck it up and drive on.

No comments: