Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Surgery? and didn't even know it!

Ugh. So, OldestA had an appointment w/ her surgeon yesterday....just a follow up. She's doing great. He tested the strength of the new ligament and said it feels just like her other knee. YAY! She can start light jogging; working up slowly and hitting the gym to build those muscles back up. No twisting/cutting motions yet. Another follow up early November and be fitted for her brace to wear when she's playing ball.

So we go out and make the next appointment; great. While we were there, I asked about my appointment with the surgeon for the 15th, just wanted to confirm. She looks up my name and says "oh, you have a phone-appointment for pre-op with the nurse at the hospital today at 10am".....ummmmm, HUH?

I said "are you sure? I'm not even scheduled for surgery yet. I haven't even seen the surgeon yet"

"yes, you're scheduled for surgery on the 9th and are seeing the surgeon the 8th" .......again....."huh?"

I said "wow, it would have been nice to know about this. The last I was told, I had my first appointment with the surgeon on the 15th and it would go from there. What kind of surgery is it? What's the recoop' time? etc etc?"

"you'll find all that out when you see him on the 8th"

"well gee, thanks. That makes it easy for my employer now doesn't it?" (actually didn't say that part outloud.....but sure wanted to!)

So that's the scoop! UGH I really want to put it off, we can't afford for me to be out of work right now. BUT, if I put it off, we REALLY can't afford for me to be out of work during the heating season w/ fuel prices. I know I can't wait indefinately, as my ankle has been acting up recently....I think the steroid injection is slowly wearing off.......WHAT TO DO?!

Oh, they're calling a Ankle Arthroscopy. Just tiny incisions....taking out those two pieces of bone that are being PITAS. Then checking to see where those came from and making further repairs if necessary. Hopefully it's nothing too intensive and I can get back to work within just a few days.......cross your fingers!!

2 comments:

Caren said...

It sucks Buffy but you have to get it done. It sounds like it should be fairly easy (as easy as surgery goes, right?) I think you'll be so relieved and feel SO much better when it's all said and done!

Good to hear Oldest A is doing so well.

Erin Leigh said...

Awesome about A!!!

Sorry about the stuff with you. Crazy you didn't know!!! From what it sounds like it shouldn't be too much time lost. I hope so anyway! Let us know when they are kind enough to let you know ;)