Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Surgeon appointment.....

It went ok. He's VERY nice and has actually treated my oldest nephew. So I know he's good. Big plus. He went over the MRI with us so we could actually SEE what the heck's going on in that scrawny knee of hers. So it's not an ACL tear.....it's an- ACL completely gone! Nice huh? Normally the ACL and the other ligament (too lazy to go look at the name right now) criss/cross inside the knee....you can clearly see one, but the ACL is no where in sight. But he explained (and showed) that her growth plates in the bone are completely sealed (she's done growing...so much for some more height for basketball HA) so the reconstruction of that ligament can go on without worrying about damaging the growth of the bone.

He wants to do the surgery within 2 weeks. Wonderful, that's what's going to get her on the healing track quicker. He has a couple more things he wants to do during rehab to help speed along the healing so she can hopefully do sideways/twisting motions by late October.

Here's the problem. I've told work that I'll be out at least 2 days after her surgery. But that date is also running close to the time I leave for three days with YoungestA on his class trip to Boston. UGH! I talked to him about that possibility and would he be opposed to his dad going instead. He said "Mom YOU have to go!" I can't tell him no, we've been planning/working on this for months. So that's really worrying me. What if she has her surgery one day, and I have to leave the next???

That's the update for now. Today is a Mommy/LittleE day. We'll be running a couple errands, but nothing exciting. I have a game tonight and am looking forward (if you can believe it) to having some fun and getting some exercise.

Have a great day!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh no! Hope the surgery helps her!

And the ligament that crosses the ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) is the PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament). I just got an A in anatomy this semester, so all these things finally make sense to me!!! LOL!

Erin Leigh said...

He sounds great. Glad he wants to do it right away too!!!

J~Mom said...

Glad you can get in there quickly!!!